PROJECT IN PARTNERSHIP BETWEEN DIRECT AID PROGRAM (DAP), AUSTRALIAN EMBASSY AND AUTISMCARE NEPAL SOCIETY (ACNS)
“Establishment of Speech Therapy Unit and Strengthening Occupational Therapy and Vocational Unit with new training for Person with Autism at the centre and transferring various skills to parents, siblings, immediate caregivers and teachers to take care of CWAs in Autism Care Nepal Society, Dhading, Nuwakot and Kaski District” (Project Period: 2016-2017)
“Expansion and Further Strengthening of Occupational Therapy and Vocational Training to Person with Autism, Parents, Special Education Teachers and Immediate care givers.” (Project Period: 2015-2016)
1. To enhance the Vocational activities and Occupational support, physical therapy and sensory intervention services at AutismCare Nepal Society.
2. To provide Occupational Therapy skills and Vocational Training to parents, immediate caregivers and teachers of (Person with Autism) PWAs and transfer these specific skills to PWAs within the centre and project implemented districts.
3.To document the training in order to reach more districts virtually as well as to amplify the knowledge and skills on the need and basic methods of Occupational Therapy and Vocational Training.
1. Purchasing of necessary Occupational therapy and Vocational training unit equipment and materials
2. Setting up Purchased Vocational Training and Occupational Therapy Equipment and materials
3. Identification of Person with Autism (PWAs) and their parents and immediate caregivers within the respective project implementation districts (Dhading, Nuwakot and Kaski)
4. Conduction of Vocational Training by Master Trainers to parents and teachers of Children with Autism (CWAs) at ACNS
5. Conduction of skills transfer workshops on Occupational Therapy by Professionals to the teachers and parents of ACNS
6. Regular conduction of Vocational Training and transfer skills to Adults With Autism(CWAs) and PWAs within the center
7. Documentation (Videography) of Master Training activities of Vocational Training and Occupational Training.
8. Production of DVD’s with the compilation of training module.
9. Conduction of Vocational Training to the parents and teachers of CWAs at Dhading, Nuwakot and Kaski Districts by trainers of ACNS as master trainers.
10. Distribution of documented DVD’s of training modules to the trainees
11. Setting up Miniature Vocational Training unit at Dhading, Nuwakot and Kaski District
Expected OUTPUTS of the project:
- Availability of necessary equipments and materials of Occupational Therapy and Vocational Unit.
- Easy accessibility to provide vocational training to PWAs and occupational therapy services to CWAs
- Improvement in vocational and OT skills of PWAs within the Center
- 30 new PWAs and 85 parents, immediate caregivers and teachers are trained on vocational activities and occupational therapy workshops within the centre and 3 districts of Nepal.
- 30 PWAs, Parents, immediate caregivers and teachers are trained on new vocational skills within the center
- 25 Social Education Teachers and parents get oriented on occupational therapy skills
- 30 PWAs and AWAs get chance to learn more new vocational skills
- At least 3 parents and or siblings of Person with autism from centre will become the master trainer who will be training to other 30 parents of PWAs at project implementing district as well as PWAs within the centre.
- 3 miniature vocational unit set up in Dhading, Nuwakot and Kaski for PWAs.
- Apart from these, 100 DVDs with the documented trainings will be developed and distributed all over Nepal with the help of ACNs networks.
- The parents of PWAs trained will somehow engage in income generating activities and providing basic orientation training to other like minded parents and special education teachers utilizing the vocational skills they received from training
- The skills learnt by the parents will be transferred to PWAs in a fruitful manner through which they not only utilize their time but also gain profitable skills. The teaching learning activities of the PWAs will also be improved.
- All key process and progress related to the project outputs will be documented.
Accomplished Activities with Achievements:
1. The trainer and therapists have necessary equipments and materials for training programs and providing services to 16 children with autism (CWAs) for providing occupational therapy services regularly and 4 people with autism for training on vocational unit regularly.
2. Identified Person with Autism (PWAs) and their parents and immediate caregivers within the respective project
implementation districts (Nuwakot, Kaski and Dhading) through screening program.
3. In Nuwakot district, new 8 were diagnosed as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) among 20 screening cases. In Kaski district, new 6 were diagnosed as ASD among 15 screening cases. In Dhading district, 8 were diagnosed as
ASD among 16 screening cases.
4. There has been regular conduction of Vocational Training and transfer skills to PWAs within the center. Among 4
PWAs, 1 has been graduated and started working independently.
5. Regular Occupational Therapy services were provided to 16 CWAs within the center.
6. Organized two Training programs by Australian Experts from Autism Spectrum Australia (ASPECT) to Parents
and Teachers of CWAs at ACNS.
7. Organized one day skill transfer workshop on Occupational Therapy by Australian Experts from Autism Spectrum Australia (ASPECT) to the teachers and parents of ACNS.
8. Organized Vocational trainings on paper product making to the Parents and immediate caregivers of CWAs at Kaski, and Dhading Districts and candle making training at Nuwakot Districts.
9. Decentralization of pre vocational and vocational training for person with autism are on the process in Kaski,
Dhading and Nuwakot Districts.
10. Parents, teachers and general public were aware and understood about the training procedure for children with autism
11. DVD’s of training module has been developed.
12. DVD’s of training modules are on the process of dissemination to the target group.
“Strengthening Occupational Therapy and Pre Vocational Units for Person with Autism at AutismCare Nepal” has started from 1st October 2014 in collaboration with Direct Aid Program (DAP), Australian Embassy.
Project was started with following objectives.
To provide pre-vocational training to Person with autism
To explore various income generating opportunities that promotes independence of Persons with Autism.
To provide occupational support and sensory intervention to Person with Autism.
ACTIVITIES ACCOMPLISHED DURING 2015
PAPER PRODUCT MAKING ADVANCE TRAINING
AutismCare Nepal Society in joint collaboration with WEAN Cooperative organization successfully conducted 4 days Paper Product Making Advance Training form 2nd June to 5th June 2015. The training was conducted by the trainer of WEAN cooperative Mrs. Aarati Nepal. During the training session the participants; parents and teachers of children with autism were trained about box making, notebook making and frame making using the Nepali handmade papers. On the last day of program, 5th June 2015, there was certificate distribution to all participants by the Chairperson of AutismCare Nepal Society, Dr. Sunita Maleku Amatya. There were altogether 15 participants including parents, teachers and 1 children with autism.
OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY WORKSHOP AND TRAINING
ACNS organized 2 days occupational therapy workshop and training for teachers and parents of CWAs under DAP project on 3rd and 4th March 2015 respectively. The training session was conducted by the Occupational Therapist, Mrs. Jackie Springtorpe, Paediatric Occupational Therapist and Advanced Practitioner in Sensory Integration. There were altogether 22 participants in teachers group and 25 participants in parents group.
ADVANCE CANDLE MAKING TRAINING
Autism Care Nepal Society in collaboration with WEAN Multipurpose Co-operative jointly organized the 3 days training on Advance Candle Making Training from 16th to 18th March, 2015. There were altogether 18 participants including the parents and teachers of Children with Autism. The main purpose of the training is to gain vocational skills by parents and teachers and transfer the learned skills to person with Autism in near future.
ACNS ORGANIZED 2 DAYS VOCATIONAL TRAINING ON PAPER PENCIL AND ENVELOPE MAKING
ACNS organized the 2 days vocational training program (Paper pencil and envelope making) on 11th and 12th February at ACNS premises to train person with autism and parents and teachers of children with autism to enhance vocational skills to train their children in near future.
ORGANIZATIONAL VISIT FOR VOCATIONAL TRAINING ON PAPER PENCIL MAKING
Teachers, Parents and staff members of ACNS visited to Women’s dream organization, Baluwatar, Kathmandu on 11th January 2015 for organizational visit for vocational training on Paper Pencil Making for strengthening pre vocational units. During the program there was participation of 15 participants along with Trainers and Trainees. Mainly the parents and teachers got opportunities to learn about how to make paper pencil and the learnt skill will be transfer to the person with autism and adolescent with autism with in the centre.
ORIENTATION AND TRAINING PROGRAM ON OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY
AutismCare Nepal Society (ACNS) organized the “Orientation and Training Program on Occupational Therapy and Autism” to enhance knowledge and skills of parents and teachers of Children with Autism on 5th January 2015 at ACNS premises. There were participations of about 38 participants including, Children with autism and their parents, teachers, board members, staffs and caretakers.
ORIENTATION AND TRAINING PROGRAM ON OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY AND AUTISM
AutismCare Nepal Society (ACNS) organized the “Orientation and Training Program on Occupational Therapy and Autism” under DAP project to enhance knowledge and skills of parents and teachers of Children with Autism on 5th January 2015 at ACNS premises. There were participations of about 38 participants including, Children with autism and their parents, teachers, board members, staffs and caretakers.During the training session, the welcome speech was given by Mr. RajKaji Prajapati, Chief Administrator of ACNS. Similarly, the training session was jointly conducted by Ms. Kripa Shrestha, Parent and Child Trainer; Ms. Alina Risal, Occupational Therapy Assistant and Mr. Surendra Bajracharya, Project Coordinator of ACNS.
ACTIVITIES ACCOMPLISHED DURING 2014
VOCATIONAL TRAINING PROGRAM (How to Make Candle)
AutismCare Nepal Society (ACNS) Organized one day Vocational Training Program on 21th Dec. 2014 at ACNS premises. During the training there was the active participation of 16 members including our Pre-vocational trainer and other staffs of ACNS participated actively. The training was mainly focused on to candle making which would be helpful for the better production in near future.
VOCATIONAL TRAINING PROGRAM (How To Operate Loom)
AutismCare Nepal Society (ACNS) Organized one day Vocational Training Program on 14th Dec. 2014 at ACNS premises. During the training our Pre-vocational trainer as well as other staffs of ACNS participated actively. The training was mainly focused on to operate the Loom effectively which would be helpful for the better production in near future.
AUTISMCARE NEPAL SOCIETY (ACNS) VISITED TO PATAN CBRO
ACNS Teachers and Staff memberS visited to Patan CBRO(Community Based Rehabilitation Organization) for observation of Vocational Unit and Skills Learning on 9th Dec.2014.the visit was mainly focused on learning vocational skills to train the teachers of ACNS and transfer the skill to PWAS (Persons with Autism) in near future.
INAUGURATION OF PRE-VOCATIONAL AND OCCUPATIONAL THERAPY UNITS BY AUSTRALIAN DELEGATION TEAM
The Australian Delegation team from Australian Embassy visited AutismCare Nepal Society (ACNS) for Inauguration Program of Pre- Vocational and Occupational Therapy Units which was supported and renovated with the grant provided by Direct Aid Program (DAP), Australian Embassy. The name list of Australian delegation team were as follows:
Mr. Bryce Hutchesson, First Assistant Secretary South and West Asia Division, Department of Foreign Affairs and Trade (DFAT), Australia
Mr. Peter Michael Kakogiannis, Executive Officer South and West Asia Division DFAT, Australia
Ms. Sarah Boddington, First Secretary, Development Cooperation, Australian Embassy
Ms. Kamakshi Rai Yakthumba, Program Manager, Australian Embassy
Mr. Krishna Bahadur Karki, Research and Program Officer, Australian Embassy
Mr. Krishna Lamsal, Program Manager, Australian Embassy
Mr. Bryce Hutchesson Inaugurated both Pre-Vocational and Occupational Therapy units. After completion of Inauguration Program there was presentation by Dr. Sunita Maleku Amatya, Chairperson of ACNS regarding Autism and AutismCare Nepal Society (ACNS).
INTERACTION PROGRAM WITH DAP REPRESENTATIVE AT ACNS
Interaction program at ACNS with Ms. Sarah Boddington, First Secretary, Development Cooperation and Mr. Krishna Lamsal, Program Manager of Australian Embassy on 14th November for preparatory planning for Inauguration program of Vocational and Occupational Therapy Unit in AutismCare Nepal Society going to be held on 27th November, 2014