Australian Aid (DAP) Project
PROJECT IN PARTNERSHIP BETWEEN DIRECT AID PROGRAM (DAP), AUSTRALIAN EMBASSY AND AUTISMCARE NEPAL SOCIETY (ACNS):
“Establishment of Speech Therapy Unit and Strengthening Occupational Therapy and Vocational Unit with new training for Person with Autism at the centre and transferring various skills to parents, siblings, immediate caregivers and teachers to take care of CWAs in Autism Care Nepal Society, Dhading, Nuwakot and Kaski District” (Project Period: 2016-2017)
“Expansion and Further Strengthening of Occupational Therapy and Vocational Training to Person with Autism, Parents, Special Education Teachers and Immediate care givers.” (Project Period: 2015-2016)
- To enhance the Vocational activities and Occupational support, physical therapy and sensory intervention services at AutismCare Nepal Society.
- To provide Occupational Therapy skills and Vocational Training to parents, immediate caregivers and teachers of (Person with Autism) PWAs and transfer these specific skills to PWAs within the centre and project implemented districts.
- To document the training in order to reach more districts virtually as well as to amplify the knowledge and skills on the need and basic methods of Occupational Therapy and Vocational Training.
- Purchasing of necessary Occupational therapy and Vocational training unit equipment and materials
- Setting up Purchased Vocational Training and Occupational Therapy Equipment and materials
- Identification of Person with Autism (PWAs) and their parents and immediate caregivers within the respective project implementation districts (Dhading, Nuwakot and Kaski)
- Conduction of Vocational Training by Master Trainers to parents and teachers of Children with Autism (CWAs) at ACNS
- Conduction of skills transfer workshops on Occupational Therapy by Professionals to the teachers and parents of ACNS
- Regular conduction of Vocational Training and transfer skills to Adults With Autism(CWAs) and PWAs within the center
- Documentation (Videography) of Master Training activities of Vocational Training and Occupational Training
- Production of DVD’s with the compilation of training module
- Conduction of Vocational Training to the parents and teachers of CWAs at Dhading, Nuwakot and Kaski Districts by trainers of ACNS as master trainers
- Distribution of documented DVD’s of training modules to the trainees
- Setting up Miniature Vocational Training unit at Dhading, Nuwakot and Kaski District
Expected OUTPUTS of the project:
- Availability of necessary equipment and materials of Occupational Therapy and Vocational Unit.
- Easy accessibility to provide vocational training to PWAs and occupational therapy services to CWAs.
- Improvement in vocational and OT skills of PWAs within the Center
- 30 new PWAs and 85 parents, immediate caregivers and teachers are trained on vocational activities and occupational therapy workshops within the centre and 3 districts of Nepal.
- 30 PWAs, Parents, immediate caregivers and teachers are trained on new vocational skills within the center
- 25 Social Education Teachers and parents get oriented on occupational therapy skills
- 30 PWAs and AWAs get chance to learn more new vocational skills
- At least 3 parents and or siblings of Person with autism from centre will become the master trainer who will be training to other 30 parents of PWAs at project implementing district as well as PWAs within the centre.
- 3 miniature vocational unit set up in Dhading, Nuwakot and Kaski for PWAs.
- Apart from these, 100 DVDs with the documented trainings will be developed and distributed all over Nepal with the help of ACNs networks.
- The parents of PWAs trained will somehow engage in income generating activities and providing basic orientation training to other like minded parents and special education teachers utilizing the vocational skills they received from training
- The skills learnt by the parents will be transferred to PWAs in a fruitful manner through which they not only utilize their time but also gain profitable skills. The teaching learning activities of the PWAs will also be improved.
- All key process and progress related to the project outputs will be documented.
Accomplished Activities with Achievements:
- The trainer and therapists have necessary equipments and materials for training programs and providing services to 16 children with autism (CWAs) for providing occupational therapy services regularly and 4 people with autism for training on vocational unit regularly.
- Identified Person with Autism (PWAs) and their parents and immediate caregivers within the respective project implementation districts (Nuwakot, Kaski and Dhading) through screening program.
- In Nuwakot district, new 8 were diagnosed as Autism Spectrum Disorder (ASD) among 20 screening cases. In Kaski district, new 6 were diagnosed as ASD among 15 screening cases. In Dhading district, 8 were diagnosed as ASD among 16 screening cases.
- There has been regular conduction of Vocational Training and transfer skills to PWAs within the center. Among 4 PWAs, 1 has been graduated and started working independently.
- Regular Occupational Therapy services were provided to 16 CWAs within the center.
- Organized two Training programs by Australian Experts from Autism Spectrum Australia (ASPECT) to Parents and Teachers of CWAs at ACNS.
- Organized one day skill transfer workshop on Occupational Therapy by Australian Experts from Autism Spectrum Australia (ASPECT) to the teachers and parents of ACNS.
- Organized Vocational trainings on paper product making to the Parents and immediate caregivers of CWAs at Kaski, and Dhading Districts and candle making training at Nuwakot Districts.
- Decentralization of pre vocational and vocational training for person with autism are on the process in Kaski, Dhading and Nuwakot Districts.
- Parents, teachers and general public were aware and understood about the training procedure for children with autism.
- DVD’s of training module has been developed.
- DVD’s of training modules are on the process of dissemination to the target group.
“Strengthening Occupational Therapy and Pre Vocational Units for Person with Autism at AutismCare Nepal” has started from 1st October 2014 in collaboration with Direct Aid Program (DAP), Australian Embassy.
Project was started with following objectives:
- To provide pre-vocational training to Person with autism.
- To explore various income generating opportunities that promotes independence of Persons with Autism.
- To provide occupational support and sensory intervention to Person with Autism.